Wednesday 3 April 2013

O'Brien's Journal Entry

Here is an excerpt from O'Brien's journal, March 20, 1977:


“March 20, 1977:

I have finally found an individual that is defiant to the Party… he is named Winston Smith, age 32. He works in the Ministry of Truth, working by rewriting production accounts and new articles, as well as destroying any documents that are dangerous to the Party. Unfortunately, he himself seems disobedient to the Party, but only subtly, so that it is difficult to accuse him outright. I am going to investigate this further, as it is my job within the Party to cure disobedience to the Party.

I got a glimpse of him today, as I was passing by the Ministry of Truth to deliver some documents. Due to the large distance from Minitrue to my house, the journey took a long while. While I waited in the car, I drank some rich coffee and some white chocolate, a lovely honey-sweet taste. As I recall, when I entered Minitrue, every single worker looked up at my black suit that signified the Inner Party. I must admit, it is comfortable and nice being a member of the Inner Party, but the Outer Party must realize how difficult and complicated the jobs that I perform are. Basically, the comforts the Inner Party receive are compensation for the duties we perform.

When I met the individual, he seemed… subtly defiant. Of course, he did not show it directly, but I could sense a feeling of disobedience deep inside the man. I could clearly see pain and tension in the man’s face when I walked by him, and the look on his face, the look when someone wants to murder someone, was the look that got me interested. I left Minitrue exalted, as I had the opportunity to keep a possible Thoughtcriminal under surveillance. When I went back to my house, I drank a deep red wine, along with roast pork, with the telescreen turned off to celebrate my duty to the Party.

As Winston Smith is not openly defiant but very subtly disobedient, I plan on keeping this individual under close but subtle and minimal surveillance for the next few years. Actually, because this is such an interesting case, maybe I’ll monitor him myself, and I’ll work in his office to keep a close eye on him for the next few years. Perhaps I will eventually lie that I am a part of the “Brotherhood”, and that might get him roused. We will eventually meet again, in the place of no darkness.”


O'Brien is one of the most important characters of the novel, while being the most mysterious. In fact, instead of developing his character as the story moves along, his character seems to UNDEVELOP, as he betrays Winston and reveals himself to be a Thought Police agent. By then end of the story, his actions raise more questions than it answers. Nevertheless, without O'Brien, the story wouldn't have gotten anywhere; O'Brien singlehandedly traps Winston and Julia into arrest and later "cures" Winston of his disobedience. Near the end of the story, it is revealed that O'Brien has been monitoring Winston for the past seven years, and gains Winston's trust by pretending to be of the Brotherhood, an anti-Party association. After Winston outright declares his disobedience and hatred to the Party, O'Brien's work is done. He later tortures and brainwashes Winston to obey and love the Party. I chose to write in this certain time period because it would reveal more about O'Brien and his "Plot" to monitor Winston before the events of the story.

O'Brien seems to be 199% devoted to the Party. He talks about the Party as being all-powerful, always right, and apparently can go against the laws of nature, such as being able to float in mid-air (Which he doesn't do because he doesn't want to...). His arrogant manner of talking about his house, food and comforts is similar to that of noblemen, wealthy people and the ruling parties throughout history. He seems oblivious to the fact that more than 50% of  the population of Oceania walk barefoot and receive tasteless Victory rations, while he enjoys personal luxuries such as automobiles, personal servants, and real, delicious food.  He seems to be ignorant and takes for granted the fact that he has telescreens that are able to be turned off. Using the spoiled, arrogant manner that wealthy classes have lived throughout history, I wrote a journal entry in O'Brien's journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment